Edible fruit arrangements have become a popular gift for special holidays like Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day, and Christmas. These arrangements can be quite expensive, especially if you want to purchase a large fruit basket. Fortunately, you can design your own fruit basket for fractions of the cost. Just follow the instructions below.
- Small basket without handle
- Foam Block
- Wooden skewer sticks
- Knife (to cut fruits)
- Cookie cutters – heart & flower shapes
- Romaine Lettuce
- Chocolate covered strawberries
- Plain strawberries
- Place the foam block inside of the basket.
- Use a toothpick to stick lettuce leaves onto the foam block. The lettuce should cover up any foam from showing.
- If you haven’t already made your chocolate covered strawberries, do so by dipping strawberries into melted chocolate. Use toothpicks to hold the strawberries while you dip and then stick them onto a separate foam block. Once you have enough strawberries on the block, place it in the fridge so that the melted chocolate will harden.
- Take a wooden skewer and place six cherries on it by pushing the skewer through the middle of each cherry.
- Use a knife to remove the skin off your pineapple.
- Slice the pineapple into pieces (like you would slice bread)
- Take your flower-shaped cookie cutter and press it into one of the slices, so that you have a flower-shaped piece of pineapple.
- Do the same with the heart-shaped cookie cutter.
- Make two hearts and two flowers.
- Take a skewer and stick it through the middle of a fruit flower. Leave about an inch of skewer at the top so that you can stick a blackberry on there.
- Repeat this process with the other 3 fruit shapes.
- Place the plain strawberries onto toothpicks and take out your chocolate covered strawberries from the fridge.
- Now you just have to arrange the fruits in the basket. Place the skewered fruits onto the foam.
- Do the same with the strawberries.
- Make sure that the arrangement looks symmetrical. For example, if you place a cherry stick on the left side, make sure to have one on the right side too. You may need to adjust the height of some of the skewers by trimming them before you insert them into the foam.