This season, add a touch of woodland magic to your holiday decor with adorable DIY gnomes. Let us show you how!
How To Make Your Own Gnome In 3 Steps
- A Spool Of Your Favorite Wired Ribbon
- Muslin Bags (We used a 4-1/2″ x 1-1/2″ x 7″ muslin bag!)
- A Small Handful Of 7″ Unpolished Baker’s Twine Strands
- Glue Gun / Glue Sticks
- Tape Measure
Step 1: Create The Body
- To create your gnome body, take your muslin bag and fill it with rice.
- Pull your drawstrings tightly closed and knot them to secure. Set aside.
Step 2: Add The Signature Gnome Beard & Nose
- Hot glue your 7″ twine strands under your drawstring top.
- With your brush, gently separate and detangle your twine strands. Eventually the detangled strands will fluff out and create a big, full beard. Once brushed out, your strands might be a little long. Trim where needed.
- For your gnome nose, find the center of the beard near the top of your edge and glue on your button for the nose.
Step 3: Get Stylish With An Iconic Hat
- Get the circumference of your bag top by taking your tape measure and stretching it along your bag top. Add 1” to this measurement.
- Use this measurement to trim two pieces from your wide wired ribbon. Glue one strip to the other along their wired edge. Lay your new ribbon piece flat and horizontal.
- Create a little spot for your gnome’s nose by locating the bottom center of your ribbon and pinching the wired edge upwards. Position this edge on top of the nose and wrap the loose ribbon ends towards the back of your gnome’s body, maintaining a cone shape. Glue the back, sides, and front of the hat in place to secure.
Bonus Step: Add A Little Personality & Accessorize
One of the best things about gnomes is that they are known to be vivacious and expressive characters throughout folklore. They use their appearance to help convey interests and personalities to onlookers – like style mavens, sartorialists, or fashionistas. Imagine stories of exploratory gnomes, investigative gnomes, and even influencer gnomes!
Our gnomes are winter gnomes who care greatly for the forest and appreciate the simple pleasure of a warm and cozy fire. They sport stylish hats with gleaming bulbs and carefully groom their beards into simple braids. If you want to give your gnomes a little personality, let your creativity run wild! We encourage small touches to their beard or their hat accessories like narrow ribbons, sparkly glitter, or gleaming jewels. For embellishments and more, check out our wide selection of craft supplies today!